Re: [stella] DASM wish list

Subject: Re: [stella] DASM wish list
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:14:05 -0400
Personally I don't think extending the reserved
symbols is a big deal.  I don't like the idea of using
formatting to allow the use of vague-sounding labels
like this:

A = $50
LDA
    LDA #$FF
    ROR A

vs.

CAR_ADR = $50

LOAD_SPRITE
    LDA #$FF
    ROR CAR_ADR

I mean, if people just use more descriptive labels I
don't think you'd naturally want to use a reserved
keyword.  The only time I think "A" would naturally
come up is if you were putting a label on an A
character graphics area, but you could just as easily
prefix those labels like "GFX_A" or "SHAPE_A" or
"CHR_A".

This was more of a problem when people used to
assemble directly on 6502s and you used mostly short
acronym-type labels to save space.

If someone had an old sourcecode file to assemble I
would just have a command line switch to go back and
forth between strict formatting (short list of
reserved keywords) and loose formatting (long list of
reserved keywords).  But the default could be loose.