[stella] Computer Space

Subject: [stella] Computer Space
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:29:01 -0400
I thought I'd throw out an idea for a Supercharger
game here if anyone is looking for an idea to motivate
yourself.

I've thought about this many times before, and
probably mentioned this on Stellalist already, but
Suicide Mission has the perfect display engine for
doing Computer Space.  Computer Space really looks
just like Suicide Mission but without the flicker and
a black background.

I don't think anyone has tried to port Computer Space
to a home system.  Although it is similar to Asteroids
or Space War, it's not really identical.  I know the
gameplay is a little sluggish, but it's a historical
artefact and I think it would be very appropriate to
see it on the 2600, given the serendipity of the
"stipple mode" graphics it has.

Even though you'd probably classify this as a hack, if
enough variations were added to the game I would be
willing to allow this as a contest entry.  Suicide
Mission is a complicated kernel so getting it to do
something new might take a lot of work.

The sourcecode is on the Stella CD and Bob Colbert is
in the process of converting the syntax for DASM.

I can probably also help acquire a VHS dump of the
gameplay.

Any takers?