Re: [stella] Batari BASIC contest entry: Solar Plexus!

Subject: Re: [stella] Batari BASIC contest entry: Solar Plexus!
From: Jess Ragan <mneko13@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:30:58 -0400
Here's a game I wrote in Batari BASIC... it was
originally designed just to experiment with the
programming language.  However, I found myself growing
fond of the game and continued to improve and refine
it, until it became something I could be proud to
share with other 2600 fans.

This is the final version of the game, which I'm
entering in the Batari BASIC coder's contest.  It's
already facing stiff competition from Ooze, but I
figure I might as well throw my hat into the ring and
hope for the best.

The gameplay is very straightforward... you're the
ship in the center of the screen.  Your nemesis is the
Solar Plexus, an artificial miniature sun that wildly
bounces around the screen in the hopes of destroying
you.  To survive, you must collect the fuel pods on
the left and right hand side of the screen.

Push the joystick in any direction to move in that
direction, and hold down the fire button to boost your
speed.  Remember, fuel pods are worth twice the points
if you collect them with the fire button released!
Collisions with the Solar Plexus or running out of
fuel will cost you a ship... lose all three and the
game is over.

Just a few notes... Solar Plexus will play on a real
2600, and it will run in the emulator Z26, but there
may be issues with Stella.  It seems to work fine with
my version of that emulator, but Macintosh owners have
complained of unexpected game freezes while playing
Solar Plexus with Stella.

That should be enough information to get you started.
Give Solar Plexus a whirl and let me know what you
think of it!  Also, see if you can find the top-secret
hidden content in the game!

JR

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name of solplex.bin]