RE: Leventhal's challenge misses the point

Subject: RE: Leventhal's challenge misses the point
From: "Heikki Toivonen" <heikki@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 15:40:54 +0300
Hi Guido,

> [mailto:owner-xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Guy Murphy
> Hi Heikii
>
> Are you suggesting then that the Web is safer if we mandate DOM+ECMAScript
> with CSS as the standard means for styling XML?

What do you mean by safer?

I do not think I have never said anything about safer web in this debate.

> My personal concern for the safety of the Web is the DOM+ECMAScript part.

Or do you mean the scripting part? ECMAScript is pretty safe although
potentially dangerous, I do not know XSL well enough to know if it could be
misused. Did you know that PostScript is a programming language and that you
can never be sure that when you try to view PS it might trash your HD or
something?

> I personally am suprised and concernced at the thought that a
> browser vendor
> feels that mandating a scripting language as an adjunct to a styling
> language for styling is best for the Web.

There are a huge number of documents that do not and will not need any sort
of transformations (which is the part that requires scripting in the
DOM+CSS+script model).

Interactivity is something you cannot achieve without scripting, even if you
use XSL.

Neither me nor Michael is speaking in the name of the company we work for.
The views of Michael and me differ somewhat in regard with this debate about
XSL, and I believe everyone at Citec has his/hers own opinions about it
although most likely the majority sides with Michael. We have done no
surveys, though. I believe the same is true for most companies. As far as I
know Citec has no opinions about anything, except maybe that standards are
good :)

I personally think sticking disclamers to messages saying the things you say
are only your personal views is a bit stupid. Of course they are your
opinions! Official statements tend to be easily distinguished from personal
writings... Having said that, though, I do understand the issues of laws
here. A pity.

--
  Heikki Toivonen
  http://www.doczilla.com