splitting into separate files and linking

Subject: splitting into separate files and linking
From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 22:22:02 +0100 (BST)
I wonder if someone can post an example of a working system to
split up a master file into separate output chunks?

Using XT's facilities, I have it almost working by borrowing stuff
from James Clark:

<xsl:template match="div0">
 <xsl:call-template name="write">
    <xsl:param name="file" expr="concat(generate-id(),'.html')"/>
    <xsl:param name="contents">

<xsl:template name="write">
  <xsl:param-variable name="contents"/>
  <xsl:param-variable name="file"/>
  <xsl:value-of select="w:write($contents,string($file))"
     xmlns:w="http://www.jclark.com/xt/java/com.jclark.xsl.sax.HTMLFileWriter";
   />
</xsl:template>

This works fine, making eg "N110.html" from a <div0>. The problem
comes when I want to put in a navigation bar. James has a plausible example:

<xsl:if test="from-preceding-siblings(div0)">
</xsl:if>

but this uses a `name' attribute for the div0 (which I don't have, and
don't really want), and I do not see how to get the generated-id()
function to do its stuff in this context.

Do other people do this regularly? Is there some  obvious technique I
am missing?

sebastian