RE: variable incrementing problems

Subject: RE: variable incrementing problems
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 13:30:29 +0100
You cannot use xsl:variable to assign a new value to an existing variable:
what your code is doing is to create a new variable of the same name, and
when this goes out of scope (at </xsl:if>) your code picks up the earlier
variable in preference.

Instead of:

    <xsl:variable name="FolderRowspan">
	<xsl:value-of select="count(subfolder)*2+1"/>
    </xsl:variable>
    <xsl:if test="count(highligth)+count(subfolder/highligth) &gt; 0">
	<xsl:variable name="FolderRowspan">
	    <xsl:value-of select="$FolderRowspan+1"/></xsl:variable>
    </xsl:if>

Try this:

	<xsl:variable name="FolderRowSpan1">
	<xsl:choose>
	<xsl:when test="count(highligth)+count(subfolder/highligth) &gt; 0">
		1</xsl:when>
	<xsl:otherwise>0</xsl:otherwise>
	</xsl:choose>
    	<xsl:variable name="FolderRowspan">
		<xsl:value-of select="count(subfolder)*2 + 1 +
$FolderRowSpan1"/>
    	</xsl:variable>

Or you could exploit the convenient fact that number() converts false to 0
and true to 1 by writing:

    	<xsl:variable name="FolderRowspan">
		<xsl:value-of select="count(subfolder)*2 + 1 +
			 number(count(highligth)+count(subfolder/highligth)
    	</xsl:variable>

Mike Kay

(Incidentally, the reason I didn't allow nested variables of the same name
in SAXON was for implementation convenience, but I'm beginning to think it
was a good idea, as it traps this kind of error. Comments anyone?).