Re:RE: XSLT vs JSP

Subject: Re:RE: XSLT vs JSP
From: KAREN_LEICHEL@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:35:44 -0500
Hi everyone,

I am one of those "editors" that "find DSSSL and XSL too difficult to use".
Actually, the market for editors/tech writers these days quite often demands
that these people have a working knowledge of not just one, but several
programming languages. I think it is to make up for engineers and SME's that do
not communicate well in English. Apparantly it is easier to teach programming to
writers than to teach communication in English to engineers. Tech writers need
to understand certain programming langueges (or so such companies as IBM and
Cisco think) to produce GUIs as well. In fact, knowing the programming languages
far outweighs having many years of graphics and design experience and a degree
in design when hiring.

I would not worry about the new breed of tech writers/editors having too much
trouble. At companies like mine, there will be one or two who can understand, or
the company will hire a consultant to deal with the DSSSL or XSL.

Having more power and more portability is incredibly important to United Defense
since we are working with extremely large, complex documents and the customer
(DOD) wants--demands--single source databases to make it harder to make
mistakes.

Karey Leichel