Re: FO DTD from XSL WD.

Subject: Re: FO DTD from XSL WD.
From: "Paul Tchistopolskii" <paul@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 05:52:31 -0700
Dear James,

Thank you very much for the explanation.

In XSL WD we have the following sentence:

<cut>
The following DTD documents the permitted structure of a result tree
containing formatting objects that are part of the formatting object
vocabulary as specified in this recommendation. It also documents the
properties that apply to each formatting object.

NOTE: In an actual result tree instance any inherited property may be
specified on a formatting object, but only certain properties apply to each
formatting object.
</cut>

>The DTD in the XSL WD is designed for human consumption and indicates where
>the properties are *used*.

Very cool. Do I understand right that it means that DTD actualy
explains what attribute should be taken into account when
rendring some element i.e. 'specific' to that element?
It explains, for example, why

<!ATTLIST fo:inline-sequence
    id  CDATA  #IMPLIED

is so short, but actualy:

<cut>
Common use:
The fo:inline-sequence formatting object is used to specify inherited
properties for a group of inline formatting objects.
</cut>

> It is not designed for validation of the
>serialisation of an FO result tree.

>James (not speaking for XSL WG)

For some reason you have not quoted my original letter.
It would be handy to have the original question, so I'm
attaching it to the bottom.

And here is the continuation.

<fo:root font-size="14pt" line-height="14pt"> is
*also* valid construction?

Do I understand right that any inheritable attribute,
may appear within *any* element in FO stream?
( Isn't it a mess ??????).

If no - is there any way to understand what
attribute is valid for some element? Usualy we are
using ATTLIST to explain such relations, right?
For some reason XSL WD is not using DTD for
that ordinary and trivial purpose, but is using DTD
syntax for some other purpose.  Unfortunately,
the question is still there and both answers
smell suspicious.

I hope that I'm missing the third answer and I would
appreciate any information greatly.

Rgds.Paul.