Table borders

Subject: Table borders
From: pandeng@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Steve Schafer)
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 02:40:39 GMT
I have a question regarding table borders that doesn't seem to be
addressed by either the XSL WD or CSS2. To simplify the problem,
consider a table that consists of a single column in a single row
(i.e., one cell), and that the overall table dimensions are 1 inch
square. Furthermore, consider that the table has zero margins and
padding, and a border width of 0.5 inch (big fat borders). Thus, the
content rectangle within the table is 0.5 inch square. (Here, I'm
assuming the CSS2 collapsing-border model, where the borders are
centered on the table grid.)

Now consider that the lone cell within the table has its various
border-XXX-style properties all set to "none." A literal reading of
5.4.8.1 suggests then that the borders of the cell should be
interpreted as being of zero width. This is a problem, of course,
since if that were the case, any text contained within the cell would
likely overlap the wide table border. Instead, it seems to me that
"none" should imply that the cell "inherits" its border from its
container (column, row, etc.).

A similar problem arises if the cell does specify a border width, but
that border width is smaller than that of the table's borders.

The conflict resolution mechanism specified in CSS2 17.6.2 does not
directly address this issue.

Comments?

-Steve