Re: XT: Output current users' login and full name?

Subject: Re: XT: Output current users' login and full name?
From: "Pete Johnston" <P.Johnston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:55:58 GMT
[Kai Grossjohann]

> Our DTD contains an empty element `doccreator', and I would like the
> output to contain the login and full name of the user running XT.  I'm
> using Makefiles in a Unix environment, so some plumbing can be used.

I _think_ you should be able to get at this using the XSLT
system-property() function, but I haven't been able to get this to
work as I hoped (and didn't get any response to my query here on the
subject a couple of weeks ago.)

However, using XT, you can call the getProperty method of
java.lang.System directly to access properties specified at run time.
Something like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0";
       xmlns:prop="http://www.jclark.com/xt/java/java.lang.System";
       result-ns="">

<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:value-of select="prop:get-property('my.prop')"/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

when run from the DOS command line with

java -Dmy.prop=xxx com.jclark.xsl.sax.Driver prop.xml prop.xsl

generates:

xxx

so if you can put the values you require into properties in whatever
procedure invokes XT, then I think you should be in business.

Pete Johnston
University of Glasgow