Re: Netscape support for XSL Stylesheets

Subject: Re: Netscape support for XSL Stylesheets
From: "Liam R. E. Quin" <liamquin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 08:20:08 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, James Robertson wrote:

> At 12:49 17/08/1999 , Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> >James Robertson writes:
> >  > That is, as far as I understand, a specification cannot
> >  > be ratified until there are two independent implementations
> >  > of the entire spec.
> >
> >that would have blown SGML out of the water for many years.
> >
> >and as for CSS.....!
> Precisely.

Funnily enough, there were more than two SGML parsers during SGML
development, and more than one CSS implementation.

None of these CSS systems were complete as far as I know, and neither
Microsoft nor Netscape took the CSS code from them, but wrote their
own, buggy, versions.

For SGML, one consequence of the early implementations was that we
ended up with lots of odd restrictions, like ambiguous content
model rules and 8-char identifiers; the implementations were
not Open Source!

Lee

--
Liam Quin, Barefoot Computing, Toronto
l i a m q u i n     at    i n t e r l o g    dot   c o m