Re: XSLFO fo:table-column alignment

Subject: Re: XSLFO fo:table-column alignment
From: "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 01:53:08 +0300
Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

>I know it is a hang-over from my TeX background, but I really want to
>be able to specify alignment in tables on a column by column
>basis. Does anyone have any sympathy with me?
>
>I want to say:
>
> <fo:table>
>   <fo:table-column column-number="1" column-width="10%"
column-align="center"/>
>   <fo:table-column column-number="2" column-width="15%"
column-align="decimal"/>
>   <fo:table-column column-number="2" column-width="15%"
column-align="end"/>

>If I have 25000 rows, I really do not want to put alignment on every
>single table cell. Surely TeX cannot be the only formatter which works
>on the basis of a template for each row?
>
>If this attribute were added, would any implementors have problems
>with it?

As for the inheritance, I see no difficulty in it: table-columns are
supposed
to host inheritable features for their cell descendants (I mean descendants
in the area tree, not in the result tree). Rules for table-related
inheritance
issues (layer precedence etc) are relatively well elaborated in CSS2,
and we plan to implement it in a similar fashion.

A thing I probably miss: why do you need a special 'column-align'?
Do you see a special trait here that cannot be expressed by the old
poor "text-align"?

Regards,
Nikolai