XSL Questions (was RE:asp problem)

Subject: XSL Questions (was RE:asp problem)
From: "Respess, Christe" <crespess@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 10:19:37 -0800
>> I'm new to this list so I hope no one minds me jumping
>> straight in with a question.

>Not at all...

>> <xsl:eval language="VBScript">Response.Write(strMemberNo)</xsl:eval>

>But if you want to ask questions about the microsoft-language-known-as-XSL,
>then you might be in the wrong place - most people here are interested in
>the W3C XSLT standard, which is very different. Microsoft themselves are
>moving away from their 1998 XSL product towards the XSLT standard, look on
>their site to find their technology preview.

I get a lot out of reading about solutions using XSLT on this list.
However, since I can't use XSLT, I thought this might be a good time to
pose the question of where a resource similiar to this list for the
"microsoft-language-known-as-XSL" might be found.  I've pretty much
exhausted Microsoft's Web Workshop/XML/XSL areas on their site and I
have a Wrox book on IE5 XML that has a small bit on XSL, but what I
could really use is a place to see how others are solving problems with
Microsoft's 1998 XSL.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, I have a question about <xsl:attribute>.  I found yesterday that
any whitespace within the opening <xsl:attribute> tag and the closing
one was appended to the value of the attribute.  Like so:

This little table snippet:

	<TD>
	<xsl:attribute name="ALIGN">
	<xsl:value-of select="@ALIGN" />
	</xsl:attribute>
	<xsl:value-of select="." />
	</TD>

Gave me this as the innerHTML for that portion of the page:

	<TD align="RIGHT&#13;&#10;">Application</TD>

And the alignment on the table cell is not to the right, but to the
default left.

When I got rid of the carriage return/line feed by changing the XSL to:

	<TD>
	<xsl:attribute name="ALIGN"><xsl:value-of select="@ALIGN"
/></xsl:attribute>
	<xsl:value-of select="." />
	</TD>

The same TD looks like this:

	<TD align="RIGHT">Application</TD>

And the alignment on the table cells is correct.

Since all my reading about <xsl:attribute> didn't alert me to this
treatment of whitespace within this element, I am wondering if there are
other elements that behave the same way.  Or perhaps I am only seeing
this behavior because something is set to a non-default value on my
machine?  I haven't played with the DOM, preserveWhiteSpace or
xml:space, so I would think that I would be seeing default behavior
here, but who knows?

TIA for any info you can give on either subject.

Christe