RE: SVG charts and graphs from XML input

Subject: RE: SVG charts and graphs from XML input
From: "Pawson, David" <DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 09:38:32 -0000
 Jon Smirl

>Has anyone tried writing a stylesheet to generate SVG charts
>and graphs from
>XML input?
>
>This might make a good class assignment; plus I'd like to see
>the results.

Yes, I did one for a flowchart.
>From XML to svg (poor visually since I didn't attempt
text flow).. and braille, clear print, html.

Even better as a class assignment, I did a bit of
round-tripping this weekend.

>From a table, with spanned rows and columns
to content only XML, then back to html,
to include a toc. Was that fun!
Dave Raggetts tidy is indispensible.
Grouping was in triples, hence Mike Kays td mod x
came into it, needed following-sibling:: tr[n]/td[m]
Most of it was within the root template, with
odd bits of template match. Pick any regular
table as input. It took me 4 passes to do.
I'm sure MK, DC would have done it in one or
two, but it was really educational.
The table came from xfree86, their list of mirrors.

Great exercise.

Regards, DaveP