XSLT Understanding

Subject: XSLT Understanding
From: Sabine Zumpe <zumpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 13:27:53 +0100
Hi,

I try working with XML and XSL and I've got a few problems of
understanding the relation between XSL and XSL T.

I know XSL consists of 2 language: one for transformation and one for
formatting.  XSL T transfom a source tree into a result tree. But does I
need to know or care for that fact if I want just display my xml
document.

I read in the W3C papers that for the formatting formatting objects are
used. There are several examples given but I never need to do so. Why?

< xsl: templet match = "tabelle">
  <fo : table>
     <xsl:apply-templates />
        <fo: table-caption> Tabelle  </fo: table-caption>
  </fo : table>
    </xsl:template>

Where I have to do the declaration for the fo ?

As I uses the IE 5.0 for displaying my xml documents I wrote stylesheets
like this:

 <?xml version="1.0" ?>
 <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl";
xmlns:HTML="http://www.w3.org/Profiles/XHTML-transitional";>
 <xsl:template>
  <xsl:apply-templates />
  </xsl:template>
 <xsl:template match="text()">
  <xsl:value-of />
  </xsl:template>
 <xsl:template match="../KOCHANLEITUNG">
 <HTML>
 <BODY>
  <xsl:apply-templates />
  </BODY>
  </HTML>
  </xsl:template>
  </xsl:stylesheet>

Is this XSLT or a comination of transformation and formatting? I read IE
5.0 does not support the whole W3C Standard. What are the main important
differences?

Thank you for help.
--
Sabine Zumpe

Telefon     :  + 49 (0) 351 463 5346
Fax         :  + 49 (0) 351 463 7203
e-mail      :  zumpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Internet    :  http://wiseweb.wiwi.tu-dresden.de

Technische Universitdt Dresden
Fakultdt Wirtschaftswissenschaften
Lehrstuhl fuer Wirtschaftsinformatik, insb. Systementwicklung
D-01062 Dresden

Technische Universitdt Dresden
Department of Business Management and Economics
Chair of Business Informatics, esp. Systems Engineering
D-01062 Dresden, Germany