RE: XSLT vs Omnimark

Subject: RE: XSLT vs Omnimark
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:10:14 -0500
Hi Paul,

Paul said:
And I said  that XSLT engines are slower not because they are written
in Java, but because they allow look-ahead pull which Omnimark does
not allow. Is that right?

Didier replies:
I would not say that this is the cause why actual XSLT engines are slow.
Being developed in Java is probably the main cause why they are slow. An
other reason is that most of them are still prototype and are not optimized
yet.

Paul said:
I see no look-ahead pull in Omnimark. Where is it ? Actualy, that was the
only question I had about Omnimark and unfortunately I got no answer.

Didier replies:
Paul in Omnimark you can use "referent" constructs. However, Omnimark does
not need to build an entire tree before processing to resolve the referents.
But like I said, XPath is tremendously more powerful than Omnimark construct
to access a particular node. In contrast, Omnimark is tremendously efficient
with reources and also faster than most actual XSLT implementations.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
Email: martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Conferences: Web Chicago(http://www.mfweb.com)