Re: using xt-extensions for getting a string of date

Subject: Re: using xt-extensions for getting a string of date
From: Phil Lanch <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 17:23:24 +0000
felix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > <xsl:value-of
> > select="date:to-string(date:new(int:parse-int($year),int:parse-int
> > ($month),int:parse-int($day)))"/>
>
> Well actually I use
> <xsl:variable name="year" select="substring(@date,1,4)"/>
> and it doesn't matter if I try the string($year), or not. Both
> versions fail.

that's what happens when i post 'solutions' without trying them ...

the problem is that, as the XT documentation says,-

"On return from an extension function ... any numeric type is allowed and will
be converted to a number."

-i.e. the (Java) int that int:parse-int() returns is converted to an (XSLT)
number - which is then converted to a (Java) double when it's passed to
date:new() - hence the error.

i suppose there must be a way to do what you want in Java without running into
this kind of automatic conversion, but i can't think what it is ...

perhaps this feature of XT should be removed, & replaced with a new extension
function, xt:number(), which would convert any Java numeric type to an XSLT
number.  James C?

--

cheers

phil

"How did you enjoy yourself with these people?
Answer: very much, almost as much as I do when alone."