Orcacle parser v2 and <xsl:output/> 'encoding'

Subject: Orcacle parser v2 and <xsl:output/> 'encoding'
From: r.mcarthur@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 09:22:25 -0500
I was unfortunately unable to search the archive for this information, so
forgive me if this has been answered in the past:

I'm using the Oracle parser for Java v2 to do XSLT transforms of XML
documents into HTML.  I need to be able to specify a target encoding for the
output, which should be possible using:

<xsl:output method = "html" encoding="ISO-8859-2" />

I want two results from this:

1. The HTML document should be tagged in the header as ISO-8859-2, as if I
had specified
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="ISO-8859-2">

2. Any >x007F Unicode characters in the document should be output as
ISO-8859-2 characters.  I am currently testing with &#x011B; &#x010D;
&#x0161; and &#x017E; (e, c, s, and z with an upside-down ^) from the Latin
Extended-A portion of Unicode

My result right now is that Netscape4 and IE5 do not know the encoding of
the resulting HTML, and the above characters appear as ???? indicating that
Java was unable to determine at character mapping.

The Orcale feature list for their parser suggests that it does support
ISO-8859-2 encoding, but does not indicate how the target encoding can be
specified (other than what XSL specifies).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Rob McArthur