Re: How do I output an ampersand?

Subject: Re: How do I output an ampersand?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 12:55:38 GMT
> I should say that IE5 is quite happy to handle URLs of the form
> abc.cgi?p=1&amp;q=2 but my worry is that other browsers won't be as
> forgiving as IE.

That is not forgiving, that is correct behaviour.

It is not well formed XML to have & on its own so in the xml output
method you have to have &amp;.

In HTML (being based on sgml rather than xml) it is legal, so in
the html output method your processor _may_ decide to output
& as & rather than &amp; but you have no way to control that within
XSLT. (Either & or &amp; are valid HTML, as in SGML a & is taken as
literal character if it isn't followed by an entity name defined in the
current dtd.

David