Re: INCLUDE/IGNORE conditional declarations and XSL

Subject: Re: INCLUDE/IGNORE conditional declarations and XSL
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:30:12 -0600 (MDT)
Bruce Rosenstock wrote:
> I have xml documents whose special characters (Latin-1 Supplement and a
> few from IPA sections of the Unicode charts) are declared as entities in
> the DTD. I would like to be able to offer people the option of using the
> Unicode encoding with their browsers and a Unicode font in order to see
> the appropriate glyphs, or to output a transliteration using Latin-1
> characters if they don't have the appropriate browser configuration.

You could do something with XSLT, sure, but there is no substring-replace
function or regular expression support in XPath. It would be terribly
inefficient to attempt to do multiple substring comparisons and substring
replacements with recursion and the functions that are available. Only the
simple cases (matching and replacing one substring) are practical.

   - Mike