Re: Referencing the filename of an XSL file in the same file

Subject: Re: Referencing the filename of an XSL file in the same file
From: Dan Morrison <dman@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 19:23:46 +1200
Philip McAllister wrote:

> I basically want to be able to put the href="...." in a comment at the top
> of the post-transformation output so that I can tell which page is causing
> problems when bug-fixing.

I do the same, commenting that this file was generated by the
concatination of aaa.xml + bbb.xsl.

However I enable this from within my publishing environment, by
inserting that info (and more) as attributes in the root node of my XML
just before parsing.
I also use this method for complicated linking syntax when telling pages
where they live in context... (a path= & basehref=)

This is handy, 'coz I can then do anything I like with the meta-info,
but is messy, because it's specific to my hand-made implimentation.
Degrades quietly tho'

It could be that this functionality is conceptually wrong though,
To pass on what I learnt from Stefano a few weeks ago (not a quote, this
is the understanding I ended up with)
It's not fully correct to treat the data object as a file with an URL
once it's been parsed into a DOM or other data structure. Asking for its
file name during processing is (at a theoretical level) unsupported.

I haven't found a way to break my head out of the old patterns of
thought though, and will continue to do what it takes to get the job
done. :-}
Still looking for XLink to solve half of these problems in a more
elegant way though (yeah right).

Um sorry, no answer.

.dan.

: Dan Morrison        : The Web Limited    :
:  http://here.is/dan :  http://web.co.nz  :
:  dman@xxxxxxxx      :  danm@xxxxxxxxx    :
:  04 384 1472        :  04 495 8250       :
:  025 207 1140       :                    :
: If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?