RE: DTD Files !

Subject: RE: DTD Files !
From: "Medina, Edward" <emedina@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 13:11:33 -0400
:> or are suggesting to test for everything that you want, and
:if you don't
:> get a true test then give an error?
:
:Yes that, exactly.
It sounds great but due to reason beyond my control we
cannot do that.  Not that you really care what we are doing, but as far
as our project the tool will use specific tagnames (i.e. para,
text, image, etc).  In order to make everyone comply (In a
government organization) is to force them to use a certain
schema (IE the DTD), which they can go against and not
allow them to do anything else.

:You can write XSL transforms that do nothing but walk over the input
:tree and make error messages about things they find but don't like.
:You can write these by hand or schematron will write them for you.
:
:You can make far more specific constraints this way that are
:expressible
:using a DTD, for example you can force that certain elements are non
:empty, or only have digits in their content, or force that an attribute
:appears on an element or any of its ancestors.

This sounds great, it really does and it would work much better than
the crappy thing we have now.  That being said, the people using this
will create their own XSL to make it a certain style they want, but
the documents will be stored in DB around the world and accessible by
anyone with the correct access.  In order for the Editor of the content
to be able to work, it needs a certain schema, but if the schema keeps
getting changed by every site then the Editor won't work.  So the
editor will use the (albeit Archaic in Nature) DTD for a schema,
which no one is allowed to access nor make any changes to without
proper authority (IE and ACT of Congress almost).

:
:The validation is fully namespace aware so the document can use any
:prefixes it likes which is basically impossible with DTD,
:
:If you are writing it yourself you just start with
:
:<xsl:template match="*">
:<xsl:message>
:Unknown element <xsl:value-of select="name(.)"/>
:</xsl:message>
:</xsl:template>
:
:which doesn't allow anything, and then you add templates for
:things you do
:want to allow.

I really appreciate the information David.  If this project was
my baby (Which is not, too many people have a hand in this to
include Congress), I would have handled the whole thing differently.

Anyway, I'm off on a tangent and not even within the topic of this
list.  I really do appreciate your input, in fact between you and mike
(and his book) I've learned a great deal, which I would have never
been able to do reading the W3C site since I cannot seem to ever find
what I want until I no longer need it. :-)

Eddy