Re: Attachments are banned from the XSL-List

Subject: Re: Attachments are banned from the XSL-List
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 23:16:05 -0400 (EST)
Mark,

At 10 May 2000 20:13 -0500, Mark Volkmann wrote:
 > Wouldn't it be possible to check whether email attachments were well-formed
 > XML text files? That way we could allow XML and XSLT attachments. I've never
 > written code to process email attachments so perhaps this is more work than
 > I realize.

Firstly, our Majordomo setup is provided by our ISP, so there's not
much that we can do except use what their version of Majordomo
supports.

Secondly, well-formed XML is likely to become the format in which
active content -- including maliciously active content -- is sent over
the wire.  Even today, I could attach an XSL stylesheet containing an
infinite loop that would cause the original IE5 XSL processor (and
possibly other processors) to fail with a stack overflow.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632