Re: feature request

Subject: Re: feature request
From: "Rick Geimer" <Rick.Geimer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:32:22 -0700
David Carlisle wrote:

>  I want to be able to
>  create any aspect of XML documents as defined by the XML 1.0 spec without
>  resorting to the kludginess of disabling output escaping.
>
> But XSL is designed to allow you to create (almost) any aspect of an XML
> document _tree_ ie something for which there exists an XML document
> which would parse to give the same result. It explictly doesn't give
> fine level control over the serialisation. So you can't control whether
> you get ' or " around attribute values, and you can't control whether
> or not parts of the tree are in separate entities. (logically there is
> an argument that these have the same status, even if one seems more
> superficial than the other)

David,

I would be very happy if I could recreate an XML tree that would give
the same parse results as the original document, but when dealing with
unparsed entities referenced in attribute values, I can't seem to find a
proper way to do this. If someone could show me how I could create an
XML 1.0 document using XSLT that would parse the same as the following
document, I would be very happy:

<!DOCTYPE foo [
<!ELEMENT foo EMPTY >
<!ATTLIST foo img ENTITY #IMPLIED >
<!NOTATION gif PUBLIC "-//NATIONAL//NOTATION Compuserve gif format//EN"
"" >
<!ENTITY testimg SYSTEM "testimg.gif" NDATA gif >
]>
<foo img="testimg"/>

Rick Geimer
National Semiconductor