Re: Which is correct, xt or SAXON?

Subject: Re: Which is correct, xt or SAXON?
From: "James Petry" <jpetry@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:11:08 +0100
Thanks for all the feedback.

>From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> When in an event attribute (such as onLoad, ...) you want to specify a
> Javascript expression, it can make a difference...

Yes, that is the kind of area I am working in. I simplified it in my first
post to highlight the basic problem.

I actually want to output ASP or PHP. These are very similar to HTML, but
allow the embedding of server-side scripts.

There are two kinds of embedding you can do:

1. Between markers in the body of the document alongside HTML elements.

For PHP the commonly used markers are  "<?php>" and "?>".
For ASP the commonly used markers are "<%" and "%>".

This turns out not to be a problem in XSLT because both languages support
alternatives using the <script> element. PHP can use <script
language="php">, ASP can use <script language="jscript" runat="server">.

2. Embedded in HTML attribute values.

In PHP you can write <hr size="<?php echo 2 + 2; ?>">
In ASP you can write <hr size="<%= 2 + 2 %>">

Both will result in <hr size="4"> being sent to the browser.

So you see, I need to be able to ensure that I can get > and not &gt; into
an attribute value. This will be preprocessed out by ASP or PHP, and so
never reaches the browser.

I have tried using various combinations of xsl:attribute and xsl:text with
disable-output-escaping, but to no avail with SAXON.

Hence my query as to which processing is correct.

Regards,
James

--
Technical Director, HISL Limited