Re: Error...

Subject: Re: Error...
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 17:37:33 -0600 (MDT)
> 	However I have tried to create a script file which is like
> follows (called it xmlxsl):
>
> java -classpath
> .:/home/cnc99r/xml/XML4J_3_0_1/xerces.jar:/home/cnc99r/xml/lotusxsl_1_0_0/lotusxsl.jar:/home/cnc99r/xml/lotusxsl_1_0_0/xalan.jar
> org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process $*
>
> 	And run it on the prompt:
>
> ~~> xmlxsl -in stuffs.xml -xsl stuffs.xsl -param expire "'10 May
> 2000'" -out out1.xml

Here is a simpler example. When you give the shell the command:

   xmlxsl blahblahblah "'foo and bar'"

...the double quotes are removed by the shell, so the 2 arguments are:

   blahblahblah
   'foo and bar'

Your shell script creates a new command to give to the shell:

   java -classpath stuffstuffstuff blahblahblah 'foo and bar'

The shell removes the single quotes when it parses this command.
If you change $* to "$*" it should work, as long as the arguments
never contain double quotes.

And yes, this is off-topic.

   - Mike