Re: Apache Module (Xalan?)

Subject: Re: Apache Module (Xalan?)
From: "Jon Smirl" <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:28:42 -0400
I used to use mod_perl. It has great performance (<20ms) but it consumes a
huge amount of memory. Because of the memory consumption I switched to Java
which uses almost no memory when compared to Perl but it turns out that Java
is a lot slower.

It looks like C/++ will be the best solution - high speed and low memory
consumption.  The app isn't totally trivial. It needs to cache the compiled
XSL sheets and perform XML/DB conversions. I was just hoping that someone
had all ready written a C version.

For db integration I'm using a language similar in concept to:
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/data/db2/extenders/xmlext/
http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/DVS1/staff/bourret/xml/XMLAndDatabases
.htm
but my implementation method is very different than IBM's.

The db integration language is just crying for a W3C standard but I haven't
seen any activity yet. IBM, Sybase, Microsoft, Oracle, etc. are all doing
the same thing via different syntaxes. It looks to me that db integration
should be part of the W3C XSchema project.

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx