RE: why dosen't it read the xml info?

Subject: RE: why dosen't it read the xml info?
From: paulo.gaspar@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 05:39:56 -0700
I hope you are using the May 2000 release of the
Microsoft XML Parser Technology Preview. If you are not,
get it at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/webtechnology/xml/msxml.asp
because it is the one with better support to the current
XSLT standard. It also looks less buggy that the March and
May editions.

With this last "Technology Preview" editions of the MSXML
parser I have been using the following namespace:
  "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
as in:
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
/>
And this one works great for me.

Also, in order to ensure the use of the "Technology Preview"
edition of MSXML, I am using the different object
identifiers. I would use "MSXML2.DOMDocument" instead
of "Microsoft.XMLDOM" (which does not work in my system).
So, you could try to replace the
  Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
calls by
  Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument")

Anyway, you should try to run your code in a stand alone
script before placing it in a ASP. You can do it if you
have MS Scripting host installed in your PC.
(Take a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/)

It is much easier to test and debug a stand alone script
than ASP and most code behaves the same.

If you have it, you can run a stand alone script (in a file
"MyVbScript.vbs") from the command prompt just like this:
  WScript MyVbScript.vbs

Another tip... consider caching your processed XSL templates
in ASP Server Variables. It should make things quite faster
even if it makes at the cost of some complexity.

At least, Microsoft advises it in some MSXML SDK samples.

I use a similar technique, where the code would be quite
similar (meaning you can ask further questions if you are
interested) but my server code is ISAPI based (a DLL
"hanging" on the server). I am not sure about the
performance cost of storing stuff in ASP Server Variables, although
I red that it can exist in some specific cases.
You should get better informed than me on that or just make
a performance test.

In my case, it also works great to cache the parsed DOMs
of the larger and most used static XML documents, of course.

Of course that all this involves downloading the (rather
small) MSXML SDK and going trough the documentation, paying
attention to the usage of the FreeThreadedDOMDocument,
XSLTemplate and XSLProcessor objects.

Have fun,

Paulo