RE: Another question about unresolved entities & XSL

Subject: RE: Another question about unresolved entities & XSL
From: "DuCharme, Robert" <Robert.DuCharme@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 15:34:36 -0400
>How about this - is there a way to:
>
>     copy everything in one file to another file
>     delete any unresolved entity from the copied file
>     run standard XSL scripts on the copied file
>
>without resorting to Emacs or Perl?  I'm dealing with a really big
>file (so Emacs is painful) and I can't program (so Perl is right out).

Asking a program to read unresolved entities, not choke on them, and to then
take some action based on the ability to resolve them is a tall order. The
best approach would probably be to find some validating Java XML parser and
then tinker with its exception handling for the case of unresolved entities,
but this of course would require some level of comfort with Java.

SGML had a neat trick where you could declare a default entity like this:

  	<!ENTITY #DEFAULT "*UNKNOWN ENTITY*">

but I guess that got chucked in the effort to trim SGML down into XML.

Bob DuCharme       www.snee.com/bob       <bob@
snee.com>  see www.snee.com/bob/xmlann for "XML:
The Annotated Specification" from Prentice Hall.