Re: help with xsl/xml/asp combination

Subject: Re: help with xsl/xml/asp combination
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 23:58:57 -0600 (MDT)
> 1.) NO STYLESHEET DEFINED ON TOPLEVEL - but I think I did!
> 2.) After I removed the << ?xml-... encoding...>, it finds the
> stylesheet, but has problems with my German special characters,
> so I NEED the encoding=3D"...".

Assuming you are using the Nov 1999 XSLT 1.0 namespace and not the Dec
1998 XSL working draft namespace, it sounds as if the problem is the XML
parser.

Remember, XSL transformations act on trees, not documents. For a tree to
be constructed from an XML document, an XML parser must read the bytes in
the document and make a determination of how the Unicode characters in the
document have been encoded. It then interprets the Unicode character
sequences as markup and character data, and reports on the logical tree of
information that is implied. The XSL processor uses this information to
construct the source tree(s) and stylesheet tree before the transformation
begins.

An XML parser is integrated into MSXML, and Instant Saxon utilizes the
parser called Aelfred, from www.opentext.com. Regular Saxon doesn't come
with an XML parser; you must supply your own. How to specify the parser is
documented on Michael Kay's web site. XML parsers only required to support
UTF-8 and UTF-16 character encoding schemes. Aelfred handles UTF-8,
UTF-16, ISO-10646-UCS-2, ISO-10646-UCS-4, and ISO-8859-1. If you need it
to handle some other encoding, it won't do it, and you thus cannot use
Instant Saxon with your documents.

If would be helpful to know what encoding you are *actually* using
(ISO-8859-1 or a native Windows encoding like cp-1252, perhaps?), what
encoding="..." value you are putting in the XML declaration (is it
accurate?), and what your <xsl:stylesheet> line looks like (correct
namespace?). You mentioned files at the end of your email, but I didn't
see any.

> Please, can anyone help me? I gotta be finished SOON and I can't
> find a way out of this.

Sometimes I get the feeling I'm just keeping people from failing their
computer science courses at school :)

> Also, how can I use saxon in my asp? And query parameters from the URL?

Someone else will have to help you there.

   - Mike