Re: attribute value escaping (was Re: disable escaping in copy)

Subject: Re: attribute value escaping (was Re: disable escaping in copy)
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 18:30:57 -0600 (MDT)
Scott Boag wrote:
> We are trying to follow
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-HTML-Output-Method where it says "The
> html output method should escape non-ASCII characters in URI attribute
> values using the method recommended in Section B.2.1 of the HTML 4.0
> Recommendation."

URIs are required to contain only a certain subset of ASCII characters.
ASCII characters are characters in the 20-7F range.

Section B.2.1 of the HTML Rec says what a user-agent should do if it
encounters a URI that contains illegal characters, such as ISO 8859-1
characters in the A0-FF range. The recommendation is to change the URI by
escaping the UTF-8 form of the non-ASCII characters, so it will be legal.

" and ' are ASCII characters and should not be subjected to this
treatment.

   - Mike