How to count with MSXSL

Subject: How to count with MSXSL
From: Stephen Wire <stephenwire@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:48:08 -0700 (PDT)
I'm working on a project that uses MSXML 2 and the
Microsoft page renderer.  I'm trying to figure out how
to count inside the XSL to determine the child number.
 I've tried position() but it's not supported.  Is
there some other way to do this?  Basically I need to
know how many nodes are in the XML file and which node
is currently being processed.  This is for an events
calendar.  The server is returning and XML file with
<events> and I need to know how many <events> were
return, and then display the first five.

Any help would be appreciated.  I am very new to XSL
and I have a deadline coming up.