Re: Underlined Text

Subject: Re: Underlined Text
From: "Jon Smirl" <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:20:07 -0400
People working on FOP are aware of the RenderX test cases and the one's I've
exchanged email with are happy to have them. But FOP is being written by a
group of people from all over the world working in their spare time so
things happen much more slowly. It may be several months until someone in
the group really starts working with them. No one person is really in charge
of FOP and everyone is welcome to contribute.

PS - RenderX might make more money by contributing the Java version of their
engine to FOP.  This would go a long ways towards expanding the market for
XSL-FO. Commercial sites would start with the Java version and them probably
run into performance problems and want to buy a C version (even if it has a
JNI wrapper).  Most of the sites (individuals, universities, etc) that would
be happy with the pure Java version probably would not have bought a RenderX
engine anyway.

Java doesn't really cut it on high volume sites, I'm converting one right
now from Java based servlets/XSLT to a C implementation. Performance is 6x
faster.

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx