RE: How is this part of the XSLT specification to be interpreted?

Subject: RE: How is this part of the XSLT specification to be interpreted?
From: Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <TRA@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:46:08 +0200
> Most programmers are impatient souls, and don't want tangle so the
> simplified version is

Also the target language does not always like the notion of the source file having been generated from another file, and that errors should be reported against the original file instead.  C does this well (since it is preprocessed anyway), but most others I am aware of do not.  This is also a pain with debuggers which display the source line, where you _really_ want to be in your webdocument.  Especially if you need to edit it.  Loosing changes due to editing the wrong file, grow rather tedious.

Most modern languages are flexible enough to allow you to specify things in any order you choose (opposed to Standard Pascal that Knuth uses, where all constant definitions went together, and then all variables, procedures, and then functions.  Without any preprocessing!) so personally I do not miss the capability to move things around.   What we describe here, is basically that the program has different parts which have active meaning at different times depending on how you view it.

--
  Thorbjørn