Re: XSLT enhancement requests

Subject: Re: XSLT enhancement requests
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:49:11 GMT
> Funny you mention that.  I've recently run into the same need with regard to
> generating XSLT stylesheets.  I'd rather not rely on the hack of using a
> namespace prefix that may or may not correspond to that used in what the
> XSLT processor outputs.  The point of <xsl:namespace-alias> was to enable
> the generation of stylesheets.  Yet it didn't go far enough.  How does one
> generate namespace-aware match patterns, mode values, and template names?
> As far as I can tell, this is not possible.

> I second the motion that namespace-aware string functions be added for
> attribute values and text content.

Which string functions do you require?
I can see some possibilities for improving the handling xpath (and similar)
expressions in text nodes, but I don't immediately see what features
that you lack here?

If you are writing the stylesheet (from another xsl stylesheet) don't
you "know" the prefix-URL bindings anyway, what extra iinformation would
you need to write out (say) a mode attribute with a qname value?

David