[xsl] Re: Time for an XDE?? (JDE for XML)

Subject: [xsl] Re: Time for an XDE?? (JDE for XML)
From: Paul Kinnucan <paulk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 17:47:59 -0500
At 02:10 PM 1/3/01 -0800, you wrote:

>Out of curiousity, have you gotten anywhere with packaging up XAE or
>setting up the WWW site?
>
>(I've been following the JDE list for it, so if it's going to be
>posted when done and isn't, don't bother replying)
>
>thanks!

Hi Tony,

I had planned to post it last weekend but then I decided I create a
constantly running saxon-based XSLT "server" to handle requests from XAE
for applying stylesheets to documents, e.g., for converting an xml document
to html for display in your system's browser. The nice thing about the
server is that it eliminates the Java vm/saxon startup time (except the
first time). Also, saxon "compiles" a stylesheet before applying it to a
document. The XAE's saxon server caches compiled stylesheets, thus avoiding
the need to recompile them every time you apply them to a document.
Currently, if you run saxon from the command line, the time to transform a
document has three components:

startup vm  + compile stylesheet + apply stylesheet

The saxon server eliminates the first two components. With the saxon
server, the time to transform a document after the first application of a
stylesheet is:

0 + 0  +  apply stylesheet

The server cuts the time to transform a document in half or even more,
depending on the size of the doc. The result is a significant speed up in
converting XML documents to HTML for  display in a browser.
XAE/saxon/Internet Explorer is significantly faster than Internet Explorer
with the latest msxml installed. I have finished writing the server and am
almost finished interfacing Emacs to it. Then I will write the quick start
documentation and releae XAE 1.0. Estimated release date is this coming
weekend, perhaps sooner. I will post an announcement to the relevant lists
when the release is ready for download from Sunsite Denmark.

- Paul