Re: [xsl] xsl:key and document()

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:key and document()
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 10:33:18 +0000
Hi David,

> but you could use document('',/) ie the relative (empty) URI from
> the base URI of the root node of the source. (But as you say I don't
> think there is any guarantee that the original document can actually
> be constructed from this URI)

You had me swooning in admiration for a moment then, until I realised
that if you can get the root (or indeed any node) of the source
document by just using / then there's no need to use document('', /)
to get the root of the source document :)

  / == document('', /) == document('', document('', /))

I *would* like to see a way of retrieving the URL of the source
document, mainly because it would make dynamic client-side XSLT a lot
easier - you usually need to include the URL of the source document in
the script that loads the next view on that document.

In XSLT 1.1, there's 'support for XML Base'. It would be nice to have
a base-uri() function in XPath 1.1 (or perhaps in XSLT 1.1) that
allowed you to access the base URI of a node. As a temporary work
around, it might be worth adopting a convention of adding an xml:base
attribute to the document element to give its URL.

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison