[xsl] Transforming html <table> tags into RTF-Tables

Subject: [xsl] Transforming html <table> tags into RTF-Tables
From: Klaus.Schipany@xxxxxxxx (Klaus Schipany)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:19:53 +0100

Dear Members,

I hope anyone could help me to solve my current task in a better way.

What I am trying to do is to use a XSLT stylesheet in order to transform
HTML-tables (inclusive colspans and rowspans) into there RTF equivalents.
Is there a chance to handly even colspans in one pass? I mean the xxxxspan
attributes just tell me how many cells or rows are spanned together.
Whereas the RTF syntax insists on creating a range: \clvmgf (= first cell in a
range)      \clvmrg (= last cell in a range) -> result: they are merged
(spanned) together.
While I am processing clumns within the current row, I have to count the passed
<TD> elements in order to find the right <TD> element to close the range.

How can I solve this task? I mean <xsl:variable>s are more likely constants,
isn't it? They can only be initialized and read, but I can't assign a new value.

Kind Regards

Klaus Schipany