RE: [xsl] Trying to use the SUM function on an attribute

Subject: RE: [xsl] Trying to use the SUM function on an attribute
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:34:44 -0800 (PST)
> var totalVal = xmlToSum.selectSingleNode("sum(//@attr1)")

This is not going to work -- the XPath expression argument in
selectSingleNode() must evaluate to a node(-set). And what will be
returned in this case will be a scalar (a string containing a number or
NaN).

One way to obtain a scalar value from an XPath expression is when a
client uses the transformNode() method that applies to the source a
generic template, which outputs (xsl:value-of) the value of an XPath
expression passed as a parameter.

Dimitre Novatchev.