RE: [xsl] XSLT and Unicode character functions --XSLT v 1.1?--

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT and Unicode character functions --XSLT v 1.1?--
From: "Dave Gomboc" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:07:26 -0700
> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 21:11:03 -0000
> From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT and Unicode character functions  --XSLT v
1.1?--

> > > XML/XSLT is, internally (and externally through different
> > > encodings), based on Unicode character handling.
> > > Then wouldn't it be logical and desirable that the two functions
> > > given here be part of the standard XSLT function reportoire?
> > > (e.g. XSLT v1.1)?
>
> Once we have a standard Java binding then the whole Java class library
will
> become part of the standard XSLT function repertoire. Isn't that a
better
> way to handle such requirements?
>
> Yes, I do know there will be processors that don't support the Java
> binding...
>
> Mike Kay

Given that XSLT is a side-effect free language, it seems reasonable to
me that an XSLT processor ought to be completely implementable in a
side-effect free (and lazy evaluating) language such as Haskell, and
"real work" ought to be able to be done by such a processor.  Are such
considerations amongst the design goals of W3C's XSLT committee?  I find
myself wondering whether the standardisation of alternate language
bindings will retard general-purpose enhancement of XSLT itself to the
point where an implementation must de facto be able to interface with
other languages.

Dave Gomboc