Validating/enforcing a list of names (Was: Re: [xsl] Detecting presence of attributes )

Subject: Validating/enforcing a list of names (Was: Re: [xsl] Detecting presence of attributes )
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:36:50 -0800 (PST)
Well done, Jeni!

Why don't we call it with a proper name -- isn't this a general method
of validating and enforcing a list of valid names?

I haven't seen this before -- shall we call it "the Tennison method"?

:o)))

Cheers,
Dimitre.

Jeni Tennison wrote:
Well, inspired by Dimitre's insight about id(), here's a solution that
doesn't involve recursive templates, as long as you don't mind
repeating in the stylesheet the list of allowed options:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [
<!ATTLIST thesis:opt id ID #REQUIRED>
]>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
                xmlns:thesis="http://www.silmaril.ie/thesis";
                exclude-result-prefixes="thesis">

<thesis:opts>
  <thesis:opt id="foo" />
  <thesis:opt id="bar" />
</thesis:opts>

<xsl:template match="thesis">
   <xsl:text>Options: </xsl:text>
   <xsl:variable name="options" select="@options" />
   <!-- change the context to the stylesheet document -->
   <xsl:for-each select="document('')/*">
      <!-- get the id attributes of any options identified by ID -->
      <xsl:for-each select="id($options)/@id">
         <xsl:value-of select="." />
         <xsl:if test="position() != last()">, </xsl:if>
      </xsl:for-each>
   </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

It has the advantage that you can deal with bad values (e.g. if
'blort' wasn't actually allowed) within the stylesheet - if that's an
advantage.

Cheers,

Jeni

---