[xsl] Stopping Saxon searching for an external DTD

Subject: [xsl] Stopping Saxon searching for an external DTD
From: jim smith <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:39:28 +0000
(this is probably related to: [xsl] must be a trivial problem)

I'm writing a simple fragment of XSL to process Moreover news files. I'm using Saxon 5.5 through JBindery on a Mac at the moment, but it will eventually move to 5.5 running on an NT machine.

I want to grab the news every 30 minutes or so, process it and cache it, to reduce server load. I'm at home at the moment, on a dialup, and I notice that attempting to transform the moreover file, which begins with the DOCTYPE declaration

<!DOCTYPE moreovernews SYSTEM "http://p.moreover.com/xml_dtds/moreovernews.dtd";>

fails when I'm offline, but not when I'm online.

I'm not actually clear what's going on here. Is Saxon actually attempting to grab the DTD or is Java having a problem because it thinks the URL should be resolved before proceeding? (In which case, why doesn't it crash like a normal Java app on a Mac...)

Or is it something else?

As I'm confident that Moreover files are valid, and my XSL doesn't care, is there any way to turn this feature off?

jim smith
020 7837 0377