Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments (portability)

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments (portability)
From: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:06:20 -0800 (PST)
--- David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> do people want portable stylesheets for reasons of
> virtue
> (not that that's bad) or because they want to run
> them, today, on more
> than one engine.

1.
Generally, I will try to use only the portable subset
of XSLTs features, for reasons of laziness:
I don't want to write several options for several
implementations when something is specified only
vaguely in the spec.
Also, for all the defenitely specified features I can
expect or request correct behaviour from
implementations/implementors.
2.
If
the thing will run on only one processor, for example
serverside, then I make sure to use only the
sub-subset that the chosen one likes and knows, and
code according to it's behaviours;
if
the XSLT should be able run through more than one
implementation, because it will be used by others,
I'll have to check it with for example the most
popular implementations. (This step should be easier,
because I restricted myself to portable code in the
first place)

That's my current strategy.

Tobi