[xsl] Re: Designs for XSLT functions (Was: Re: RE: syntax sugar for call-template)

Subject: [xsl] Re: Designs for XSLT functions (Was: Re: RE: syntax sugar for call-template)
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:26:35 -0800 (PST)
Hi Jeni,

Jeni Tennison wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> 1. Declaring Functions
> ----------------------
>
> 1.a. Using xsl:template vs. using exsl:function

<xsl:function name="QName" p1="p1Name p1Default"
                          pN="pNName pNDefault"

    <!-- Contents here -->

</xsl:function>

> ---
>
> 1.b. Top-level declaration vs. declaration within xsl:script

Doesn't matter. <xsl:script> implies that the contents is script (alien to XSLT).
Therfore, not placing <xsl:function> within <xsl:script> may help avoid confusion.

> ---
>
> 1.c. exsl:return and/or result tree fragments

  <xsl:return>

But this does not exclude returning RTF. There would not be a RTF type in XSLT 1.1.
It will be more correct to speak about "dynamically created nodes".

Any variable that contains "dynamically created nodes" could be returned
by <xsl:return>.
Therefore, question 1.c is misleading -- there will be no limitation on returning
"dynamically created nodes" even only if <xsl:return> is allowed.

> 2. Calling Functions
> --------------------
>
> 2.a. exsl:function() vs. my:func()

None of these.

Just:

fn()

I think fn() must be a standard XSLT/XPath function -- these functions do not have
a full QName.

> ---
>
> 2.b. Passing parameters by position vs. name

fn(QName, p1="Name1 Value1",..., pN="NameN ValueN")

This allows parameters to be passed by name (as above),

by position:

fn(QName, p1="Value1",..., pN="ValueN")

or even in a mixed fashion:

fn(QName, p1="Value1", p2="Value2", p3="Name3 Value3",..., pN="NameN ValueN")

Here the first two parameters are passed positionally, the rest are passed by name.

This syntax is by far the most intuitive and easy to remember.
It is also the most brief and flexible.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.