Re: [xsl] 2.0 feature request

Subject: Re: [xsl] 2.0 feature request
From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:24:55 +0100
Jeni Tennison wrote:

> Just to point out that when you put that into an expression in XSLT
> you get:
>
>  /emp[rating = "Poor"]/@mgr -&gt; emp/@mgr -&gt; emp/name
>
> (the > signs have to be escaped in attribute values) which is slightly

"have to" or "may" ?

XML 1.0 states:

The right angle bracket (>) may be represented using the string "&gt;",
and must, for compatibility, be escaped using "&gt;" or a character
reference when it appears in the string "]]>" in content, when that
string is not marking the end of a CDATA section.

and

[10]  AttValue ::=
            '"' ([^<&"] | Reference)* '"'
         |  "'" ([^<&'] | Reference)* "'"

and you can keep your ">" unescaped in attributes.

It's a reason why I often reverse my XPath tests to use ">" rather the
"<" for readability ;=)

Eric

> less easily readable. It would be nice (i.e. preferential but fairly
> low priority) if XPath 2.0 could steer away from using characters that
> have to be escaped in attribute values (though it's obviously already
> using some, and there are only so many characters you can use).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeni
>
> ---
> Jeni Tennison
> http://www.jenitennison.com/

See you in Austin (Knowledge Technologies 2001)
              http://www.gca.org/attend/2001_conferences/kt_2001/mon.htm