Re: [xsl] Defining XSLT functions in XSLT 1.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] Defining XSLT functions in XSLT 1.0
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:14:36 +0000
I wrote:
> Naturally I will be using XSLT to analyse the voting :) Please vote on
> the following questions by posting me privately an email with a piece
> of XML in the form:

In a private mail I got:

  "Ummm ... I know South Africa was late to democracy, but when we're
  asked to vote on something, we're normally told what the
  consequences of a vote will be: who will be claiming that the votes
  support their position, what constituency they think the votes
  represent, what rights they expect that claim will give them, and
  what they intend to do with the claim and the stats of the vote
  result. Normally, there's also a preliminary process by which it is
  agreed that a vote should be taken at all. Should you maybe be
  making these things clear on the list?

Which are fair points.

I feel that if we continue discussing various options, if we come up
with more proposals and so on, we are likely to talk ourselves dizzy
rather than come up with anything concrete.  It's my hope that having
a vote will (a) allow people who don't feel they can voice their
opinion on the list to voice it otherwise and (b) satisfy those people
who disagree that the final specification is based on user demand, not
political reasons or personal preference.

I've only posted the questionnaire here - if there are other places
where you think it should be posted, then please feel free to forward
it.

After voting's tailed off, which I think should be around the end of
the week, I will take them votes, collate them and inform the list of
the results. The use of the email address in the XML is only so that I
can uniquely identify a voter, which lets you change your vote if you
need to - I won't be using them for any other purpose.

Based on the decisions indicated by the vote, we can then construct a
specification of a set of XSLT extension functions and elements,
following the scheme that's voted for.  I'm happy to do a first draft
of that.

This specification may then be used by implementers who wish to
support the specification of user-defined functions in XSLT 1.0.
Implementers are under no obligation to do so. Stylesheet authors are
under no obligation to write stylesheets that use them. Anyone else
can come up with and use their own specification as they desire. As a
community-led initiative, anything that happens happens because of
pure good will on the part of those involved.

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison
http://www.jenitennison.com/