Re: [xsl] RE: Designs for XSLT functions

Subject: Re: [xsl] RE: Designs for XSLT functions
From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:07:47 -0700
> Michael Kay wrote:
>
> > Far too restrictive; it doesn't allow you to do any processing of node-sets
> > that can't be done by standard functions, for example it wouldn't allow you
> > to implement max() and min().
>
> Hmh, I think you missed my point about having a conditional
> construct in XPath.

[snip illegal XPath 1.0]

I think there is some confusion here.

My goal in this effort is to try to come up with a simple mechanism for
implementing XSLT-based extension functions in XSLT 1.0.  This practice would
help guide the discussion of what should emerge in XSLT 1.1 and 2.0,
especially if enough implementors hop on board.

Mike Kay has already led the way with xsl:function, which is why it has been
the straw man.  Jeni has (at least as I read it) kicked off a discussion of
how this can be generalized across implementations.

I think it's most useful to stay within the bounds of legal XSLT and XPath
1.0, especially since I think all we want has been demonstrated as possible
within those bounds.  After establishing things a bit, we can work up an
informed wish-list of XSLT/XPath > 1.0 enhancements with respect to XSLT-based
extension functions.

uche.ogbuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               +1 303 583 9900 x 101