[xsl] 2.1 Must Allow Matching on Default Namespace Without Explicit Prefix

Subject: [xsl] 2.1 Must Allow Matching on Default Namespace Without Explicit Prefix
From: "Evan Lenz" <elenz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:04:20 -0800
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xslt20req-20010214

2.1 Must Allow Matching on Default Namespace Without Explicit Prefix

I don't think this is a good idea.

The reason I would normally use a default namespace in a stylesheet is if I
wanted my result tree to be primarily in one namespace. A good example would
be transforming XML into XHTML. Matching on a default namespace wouldn't
allow me to reasonably do that, because I would always have to specify
xmlns="" on each template rule, thus taking away the convenience of the
default namespace.

An unanswered question in the requirements doc is: would this apply to XPath
expressions as well? It would seem pretty inconsistent for it to apply to
patterns but not expressions.

In my opinion, the current convenience of default namespaces for result tree
generation far outweighs the convenience that would be provided by this
change.

Evan Lenz
XYZFind Corp.