Re: [xsl] [exsl] Re: Draft 0.1 - call for comments (longish...)

Subject: Re: [xsl] [exsl] Re: Draft 0.1 - call for comments (longish...)
From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 00:57:35 -0700
> However, following on from comments by Dimitre Novatchev I am finding it
> hard to see the how user defined extension functions can be implemented in
> XSLT without adding a considerable amount of complexity to a language which
> is currently (1.0) simultaneously both very elegant and very confused
> (confusing?).

[thoughtful arguments snipped]

I agree that defining extension functions in XSLT might be a performance
problem, although I disagree with you that it mars any of the elegance of XSLT
itself.

At any rate, I expect that implementers can provide the best of both worlds
you outline.  They can look up exsl functions invocations first in their
native libraries, and if not found, then they look for the corresponding exsl
implementations in XSLT.

This would provide a great measure of the transparency that some of us prefer,
and the cross-implementation compatibility that the XSL WG seems to be
striving for.

uche.ogbuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               +1 303 583 9900 x 101