Re: [xsl] namespace values

Subject: Re: [xsl] namespace values
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:00:31 -0700 (MST)
Kevin_Gutch@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Can namespaces contain  values? Is it possible to store these values in a
> URI?

As long as you adhere to the syntax for a URI reference as defined by RFC
2396, you can embed whatever you want in a namespace URI. But namespace
declarations are just strings, so if you were thinking of using variable
references in namespace declarations in a stylesheet, then no, you can't
do that.

At the risk of sounding like I am trolling, I will mention that very
recently on the xml-dev list there was quite a bit of discussion about
what "should" be returned if a namespace URI happens to be resolved as a
real URL, even though there is no requirement that it actually be anything
resolvable. For some reason, this time around, even though the issue has
been raised many times before without incident, a mass spec writing circle
jerk ensued (IMNSHO) and an overengineered solution to this, ahem, problem
was born and named RDDL. If you read the spec at rddl.org, you'll notice
that there really are no statements in it that justify its existence.

Anyway, the fact that they have come up with this spec and seem eager to
implement it means that you probably shouldn't lock yourself into using
namespace URIs that are going to be difficult to resolve someday.

   - Mike